These Chocolate Chip Blondies with Peanut Butter makes the best afternoon tea sweet treat. Rich, chewy and decadent, these peanut butter blondies are a must try if you love chocolate chips and peanut butter!
Why we love this recipe
Looking for a recipe for Chocolate Chip Blondie? Why not add Peanut Butter to them! These Blondies Bars made with Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Chips are the indulgent snack you didn't know you needed in your life (...or did you!?)
This Chewy Blondies Recipe is super easy and quick to make - perfect to fix any of your sweet cravings! They can be made ahead and will stay nice and moist for a few days. These bars are basically a baked version of my No Bake Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars - and just as equally delicious!
What is a Blondie
A Blondie is a sweet bar or slice, similar to Brownies, but flavoured with vanilla instead of chocolate. It is traditionally made with Flour, Sugar, Butter, Eggs and Vanilla - but many other ingredients can be added to these dessert bars such as chocolate chips, nuts or nut butter.
What is the difference between a Blondie and a Brownie
They are both chewy or gooey bars made from Flour, Butter and Eggs - but one contains Chocolate (or Cacao Powder) while the other is made with Vanilla (Fresh, Extract or Paste).
Brownies and Blondies refer to their colour, one being brown because of the chocolate and the other being blond because of the light brown sugar and vanilla.
These blondies have the particularity of being made with Peanut Butter. Not only this ingredient provides a delicious pop of peanut butter, it also helps create super rich and chewy bars!
Associated with intense Dark Chocolate Chips, these bars will be a perfect treat to make for anyone who loves chocolate and peanut butter.
Ingredients for Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter Bars (scroll down to recipe card for all quantities):
- Butter: unsalted
- Peanut Butter: preferably smooth, with no added salt or sugar
- Vanilla Extract: can also use Vanilla Essence or Paste
- Eggs: at room temperature
- Brown Sugar: to add a delicious light molasses flavour
- Flour: Plain / All-Purpose
- Baking Powder
- Sea Salt
- Mini Dark Chocolate Drops or Chips
I used Mini Dark Chocolate Drops, but you can use any of your preferred chocolate chips. I do recommend to use dark chocolate though to bring intensity to the flavour of this dessert.
The Sea Salt is really important - and a delicious addition. It will really make these bars pop! I added some in the blondie batter, as well as sprinkled over the bars.
How to make Blondies with Chocolate Chips and Peanut Butter
These choc chip blondies are basically made the same way as a regular blondie (or brownie), but with the addition of peanut butter and chocolate chips.
- Melt together the Butter, Peanut Butter and Vanilla Extract. You want it to be smooth and liquid when integrated into the other ingredients. Make sure to leave them cool down before adding them to the recipe.
- Whisk the Eggs and Brown Sugar on medium/high for a good 5 minutes - you want to add a lot of air into it! The Eggs and Sugar need to look pale and have at least doubled in volume.
- Add the Liquid ingredients and whisk just until incorporated - don't over beat it or the egg mixture will deflate.
- With the paddle attachment, add in the dry ingredients: Flour, a little bit of Baking Powder and Sea Salt.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the dough in a rectangular baking pan lined with baking paper and spread it with a spatula if needed. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. It is better to under-bake it than over-bake it!
The last really important step is to leave them cool down before removing from the pan and slicing them - just like for brownies. They will likely fall apart if you try to slice them straight out of the oven.
You will know the blondies are ready mainly by looking at their colour and crust. When they start to turn golden and the top looks set, they are ready!
You do not want to over-bake them or they will become dry. It is better to under-bake this one and have super gooey bars rather than dry ones!
At room temperature in an air-tight container, they will keep well for up to 3 days. To keep them longer, store them in the fridge for up to a week.
No, they will be fine kept at room temperature in an air-tight container. But they can be kept in the fridge if you want them to last longer. Note that they will dry out much quicker in the fridge though!
Yes, you can! Leave them to cool down completely and slice them into square first. Wrap them individually in plastic wrap/aluminium foil (or freezing bag, separated with baking paper) for up to 2 months.
Leave to thaw at room temperature for a few hours when ready to eat.
More Bars and Small Cakes:
- Raspberry Brownies
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- Buckeye Brownies from 4 Sons 'R' Us
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bars from Pastry & Beyond
- Chocolate Chip Scones
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
- Orange Brownies
- Chocolate Caramel Slices
- Mini Brownie Bites
- Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
Made this recipe?
Let us know if you liked it by leaving a comment below, and tag us on Instagram @a.baking.journey with a photo of your creation!
Peanut Butter and Chocolate Chip Blondies
- 120 gr (1/2 cup) Unsalted Butter, melted
- 120 gr (1/2 cup) Smooth Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs
- 80 gr (1/3 cup) Brown Sugar
- 175 gr (1 cup + 1tbsp) Plain / All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Pinch Sea Salt - + to drizzle over the blondies (optional)
- 90 gr (1/2 cup) Mini Dark Chocolate Chips
I highly recommend using the measurements in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.
- Preheat the oven on 180'C/350'F. Grease and line a rectangular 20x30cm (8x12inch) baking pan.
- In a small heat-proof bowl, melt the Butter, Peanut Butter and Vanilla Extract until very smooth. Set aside to cool down.
- Place the Eggs and Brown Sugar in the bowl of your mixer and whisk on medium/high speed for 5 minutes, or until pale and doubled in size.
- Whisk in the Butter/Peanut Butter/Vanilla Extract.
- Change the mixer attachment to the paddle one and stir in the Flour, Baking Powder and Salt (see note 1)
- Stir in the Chocolate Chips, and drizzle with more Sea Salt (optional).
- Pour into the pan, and spread with an offset spatula if needed.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden. You want them still a bit gooey.
- Set aside to cool down completely before removing from the pan and slicing them into individual squares.
Tried this recipe? Make sure to leave a comment and star rating below!
- You can also do that by hands with a stiff spatula.