Snack, treat, breakfast or lunchbox, these healthy muffins are great for any occasion! For me, they are simply the best Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, and they are Sugar-Free too – making them great healthy treats for kids and toddlers.
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
If you are looking for a Choc Chip Muffins Recipe, why not try one packed with ripe Bananas and no aded sugar!? These healthy banana muffins are so quick and easy to make, ready in 30 minutes and great to make for (and with!) your toddlers and kids.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Muffins Ingredients
These Moist Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips are made with natural ingredients only – and sugar is not one of them! Using the natural sweetness of ripe bananas, these healthy muffins only require a few ingredients most of you will already have in their pantry and fridge.
To make these Banana Bread Muffins with Chocolate Chips, you will need:
- Very Ripe Bananas
- Natural or Greek Yogurt
- Canola Oil (or preferred flavour-neutral cooking oil)
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Dark Chocolate Chips or Chunks
I highly, highly recommend using very ripe bananas for this recipe. It is the ripe fruit that will bring the sweetness into the muffins, so if you use un-ripe bananas, they will taste blend.
If you are looking for another healthy chocolate chip muffin idea, check out these Double Chocolate Chip Muffins with Zucchini from Goodie Goodie Lunchbox and those Pistachio Chocolate Chip Muffins from Sugar Salt Magic!
Can you make these Chocolate Banana Muffins Dairy-Free?
Absolutely! The only Dairy Ingredient of the recipe is the Yogurt, which can be easily substituted with a Plant-Based or Dairy-Free Yogurt. You could for example use Almond Milk Yogurt, Coconut Yogurt, Soy-based Yogurt, Lactose-Free Greek Yogurt – or simply your favourite Dairy-Free Yogurt!
How to make Banana Muffins with Chocolate Chips
Making these Choc Chip Muffins are seriously so easy – and SO quick too! The prep time should not be over 10 minutes, and with a baking time of 20 minutes, it means that your muffins will be ready to be devoured within 30 minutes. Win!
If you know how to make Banana Bread, making Banana Muffins is basically exactly the same. Mash the bananas, add the wet ingredients then the dry ingredients. And finally, add the Chocolate Chips (or like me, chocolate chunks).
How do you make Banana Bread into muffins:
- Preheat your oven and place the muffin wrappers in a 12-muffin tray.
- Mash the Bananas in a large bowl. Add the Eggs, then the Oil and Yogurt.
- When all mixed, add the Dry Ingredients: Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Lastly, fold in the chopped chocolate chunks or chocolate chips
Note that it is important to mash the bananas well so that there are no chunks left – you want it as smooth as possible to get even looking muffins.
What about trying my Vegan, Gluten-Free and Sugar-Free Banana Bread too!?
How to store these Sugar-Free Banana Muffins
These Easy Chocolate Chip and Banana Muffins will keep well for a few days if kept in an air-tight container. I recommend to eat them within 2 to 3 days or they will start to become hard.
The best way to store them is to place them in a large air-tight container with some paper towel place below and above each level of muffins. The paper towels will absorb any moisture that could come out of the muffins and keep them fresh.
I do not recommend keeping these banana muffins in the fridge. It will tend to make them harden quickly. If you find that your muffin are a bit hard, simply place it in the microwave for about 30 seconds to soften it.
If you want to make these muffins ahead or keep them for longer, they can be easily frozen; see below for freezing instructions.
Can you freeze Choc Chip Banana Muffins
These muffins – like almost all muffins – do really well in the freezer. That makes it a great make-ahead muffin recipe that can be thawed individually when needed.
To freeze these sugar-free muffins, follow these few tips:
- leave them to cool down completely on a cooling rack before freezing them.
- wrap each individual muffin in a layer of plastic wrap then aluminium foil to avoid freeze-burns.
- keep in the freezer for up to 2 months for a fresher taste
When ready to eat, thaw in one of the follow way:
- leave to thaw overnight at room temperature
- place in the microwave on ‘quick defrost’ mode, stopping every 30 seconds to check on them until thawed
- place in the oven on low temperature for 5 to 10 minutes, or until thawed
More Muffins Recipes:
Apple Cinnamon Muffins with Streusel Topping
Lemon Raspberry Muffins
Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
Double Chocolate Zucchini Muffins
Lemon and Blueberry Muffins
Healthy Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins Recipe:
Healthy Sugar-Free Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas, (about 250gr / 9 oz mashed)
- 2 Eggs
- 80 ml (1/3 cup) Canola Oil
- 125 gr (1/2 cup) Greek Yogurt, or Natural Yogurt
- 250 gr (1 + 2/3 cups) Plain Flour
- 1 1/2 teasp. Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 100 gr (1/2 cup) Dark Chocolate Chips or Chunks
- Preheat your oven on 180'C/350'F. Line a 12-Muffin Pan with Muffin Wrappers.
- In a large bowl, mash your Bananas well. When mashed very smoothly, whisk in the Eggs, then the Canola Oil and Yogurt.
- Add the Plain Flour, Baking Powder and Salt. Mix until all combined.
- Fold in the Chocolate Chips (or thinly chopped Dark Chocolate Chunks). Mix well until the chips seem evenly distributed in the batter.
- Scoop some batter in every muffin wrapper and tap the pan on your counter to remove any air pockets.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the muffin top is golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before eating.