Nothing makes cakes more light and fluffy than Almond Flour. Whether you are looking for a Gluten Free Cake or just a deliciously light and fluffy cake, this Flourless Strawberry Almond Cake is the perfect dessert to make with fresh strawberries!
Why we love this recipe
This Strawberry Almond Cake was not one I was planning to make. But it happened, and I embraced it! It is the last cake I baked for Passover this year, after the Almond Cookies and the Coconut Macaroons and is probably my favourite one.
Replacing the Flour with Almond Meal created a super moist and light flourless cake, just like this Pear Almond Cake. The Strawberries brought a nice mix of sweetness and acidity to this easy summer cake!
Easy Gluten-Free Strawberry Cake
Strawberries are such a great fruit to bake with in summer. I especially love them because you can use them fresh like for these Strawberry Custard Tarts, Strawberry Charlotte or Fraisier Cake, cooked into a sauce like a Strawberry Coulis, or oven inside a cake like this Strawberry Crumble Cake.
Even though this was originally a Passover Recipe, it is one I will add to my "every day" recipe book. Not only it is a really easy cake to make, I love that it is Gluten Free and can accommodate people with allergies and intolerances.
Almond Meal is probably my favourite ingredient to use to create gluten-free dessert, and I simply LOVE the flavour and texture it brings to baked goods. Associated with whipped egg whites, it always creates the lightest, fluffiest cakes ever!
The recipe for this Strawberry Almond Cake is fairly quick and easy. It should only take about 20 minutes to put together and requires a few ingredients only:
- Almond Meal (or Almond Flour)
- Brown Sugar
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
- Fresh Strawberries
Almond Meal is one of my favourite ingredient to use to make Gluten Free Cakes. You can use it in so many different ways, whether it is to make Almond Tahini Cookies or a Gluten Free Almond Orange Cake!
How to make a super fluffy cake
To get the perfect fluffy consistency, I separated the Eggs and whipped the Egg Whites into a stiff meringue before folding them into the batter with the rest of the ingredients.
That helps the cake in two ways:
- The whipped egg whites will make the cake rise, even though it does not have any leavening agent like baking powder or baking soda.
- It creates a deliciously light texture for the cake, that is made even more moist and delicious with the ground almonds.
Almond Flour Strawberry Cake
As I explained in a few recipes in the past, I like to use a baking tin with removable bottom like this one. I would recommend using one of those for this strawberry almond cake because it tends to stick to the edges.
Nothing worst than making a great cake, only to realise you can't get it out of the tin!
Otherwise, make sure you line you baking tin with baking paper and/or butter and flour the edges. As always, whatever works best for you!
This cake will not raise much so I would recommend using a tin that is not too large, in order to still have a bit of volume.
More Gluten Free Recipes
- Orange Almond Cake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Banana Bread (Sugar Free)
- French Buckwheat Crepes
- Buckwheat Banana Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Energy Balls
- 3 Ingredients Almond Cookies
Made this recipe? Let us know if you liked it by leaving a comment and rating below! And don't forget to share your creation on Instagram with the hashtag #abakingjourney and tag @a.baking.journey
Gluten Free Strawberry Almond Cake
- 4 Eggs - at room temperature
- 1 pinch Salt
- 2 cups (200gr) Almond Meal - or Ground Almonds
- 1/4 cup (50gr) Brown Sugar
- 1/3 cup (100gr) Unsalted Butter
- 1 teasp. Vanilla Extract - Optional
- 7 oz (200gr) Fresh Strawberries
- Preheat your oven on 170°C.
- Separate the Egg Whites and Yolks in two bowls. Set the bowl with the Egg Whites aside.
- Melt the Butter in the microwave and set aside to cool.
- Add the Sugar to the Egg Yolks and beat until creamy and frothy. When cool, add the Melted Butter and Vanilla Extract (if wanted) and mix well.
- Add the Almond Meal to the batter and incorporate it with a spatula.
- Whip the Egg Whites with the Pinch of Salt until hard peaks form. Use a hand mixer if you do not have the muscles required to beat the egg whites into a meringue (like me...).
- Gradually incorporate the Meringue (Egg White) into the first batter and gently fold it in with the spatula.It is easier to incorporate the Meringue in 3 or 4 times, but try not to over work the batter or you risk breaking the meringue.
- Pour the cake batter into a round baking tin (preferably with removable bottom).
- Cut the Strawberries in half and place on top of the cake in your preferred pattern.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out dry when you stick it in the cake.Leave the cake to cool down before you remove it from the baking tin.