This super easy French Apple Cake Recipe is the perfect one to quickly whip up for dessert or to enjoy with your afternoon tea… and all you need is one bowl! This Low Sugar Apple Cake is so simple and delicious – you need to try it this Winter!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
Who doesn’t love a cake recipe that is both super easy AND quick? This recipe has both: it basically only requires one bowl and one whisk, and is ready to be enjoyed in about 30 minutes.
This French Apple Cake is the most delicious and moist dessert that will also be perfect as a snack with your afternoon tea. How does that sound? Pretty good, right!?
Moist Apple Cake Ingredients
This traditional French Apple Cake is probably one of the easiest French recipe you will ever find! Made with a few ingredients only, it is a truly ‘un-failable‘ cake.
To make this apple cake, you will only need a few basic ingredients:
- Brown Sugar
- Melted Unsalted Butter
- Applesauce – preferably homemade
- Plain, All-Purpose Flour
- Baking Powder
I love using my homemade Applesauce as a way to control the amount of sweetness added to baked goods. Most store-bought applesauces will be full of sugar and preservative, so there is really nothing like a nice homemade one (made with no or low sugar)!
More Apple Recipes:
- Easy French Apple Tart
- Apple Cinnamon Streusel Muffins
- Rustic French Apple Galette with Applesauce
- Apple and Pear Crumble
How to make this One-Bowl French Apple Cake:
Making this cake is seriously easy. Once your butter has melted and you have peeled, cored and sliced your apples, all you will need is one-bowl:
- Peel, core and slice your Apples into small cubes. Set aside.
- Melt the Unsalted Butter and leave to cool down.
- Place the Eggs and Brown Sugar in a large bowl and whisk until foamy. Whisk in the Melted Butter and Applesauce.
- Add the dry ingredients: Plain Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Stir in the cut Apples and mix to fully cover them with the cake batter.
- Place in a lined round Springform Pan and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Optional: dust with a little bit of Icing Sugar and/or Cinnamon Powder once cooled.
What to serve with this easy French Apple Cake?
This Moist Apple cake can be served two ways. First, you can serve it warm on its own, with vanilla ice cream, whipped cream, applesauce or even caramelised apples.
Otherwise, this cake will be equally delicious once cooled, next to a hot cup of tea or coffee. Because it is such a moist cake, it is also a great snack to pack into a lunch box!
Questions about this Easy Apple Cake Recipe:
Which Apples are the best to make this cake?
Exactly like for baking with Pears, the type of apples you choose will slightly change the flavour of your cake.
Whether you want a nice and sweet apple or prefer something a little more tangy and crisp, this recipe can be made with so many different types of apples!
Here are the best apples to bake with, according to Bon Appétit:
- Granny Smith
- Mutsu or Crispin
- Pink Lady
Read more about how to choose the Best Apples for baking here!
How long can I keep this moist apple cake?
Stored in an air-tight container in a cool place, this cake can keep for 2 to 3 days. If the weather is warm, it is better to keep this cake in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Can I freeze this French Apple Cake?
Yes, you can! To freeze this cake, leave it to cool down completely first. Cover it completely with a layer of plastic wrap first, then a layer of aluminium foil.
Keep in the freezer for 2 to 3 months. When ready to be eaten, thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Easy French Desserts Recipes:
- Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears
- Sablé Breton Cookies
- Lemon Meringue Cake
- Easy Cherry Clafoutis
- Classic Cheese Gougères
One-Bowl French Apple Cake Recipe:
Easy French Apple Cake
- 3 Small Apples
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp (40gr) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (120gr) Melted Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 cup (100gr) Applesauce
- 1 cup (150gr) Plain, All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- Preheat your oven on 180'C / 350'F.Grease or line a 20cm/8inch round Springform Pan with baking paper.
- Melt the Unsalted Butter in the microwave and set aside to cool down.
- Peel, Core and Cut the Apples into small cubes. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the Eggs and Brown Sugar until foamy. Add the melted butter and Applesauce and stir until combined.
- Whisk in the dry ingredients: Plain Flour, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Mix the Apple slices directly into the cake batter, making sure all the apple cubes are equally covered with batter.
- Pour the cake batter into the lined/grease pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the tip of a knife comes out clean.
- Serve warm with Whipped Cream or Vanilla Ice Cream, or leave to cool down completely. Optional: dust with a little bit of Icing Sugar and/or Cinnamon Powder.