Made from scratch with fresh ingredients, these Spinach and Ricotta Rolls are great savoury breakfast baked goods, appetiser to serve to a party, kids lunchbox meal or to simply enjoy as a snack on the go!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
For me, nothing tops savoury bakes and pastries when it comes to appetisers and snacks. These yeast-based savoury rolls are super fluffy and filled with the classic spinach and ricotta combo – it is a recipe that is sure to be a hit with your guest!
Savory Bread Rolls Ingredients
There are two sets of ingredients to make this savoury rolls: the bread roll dough and the spinach and ricotta filling.
You can easily customise the filling by adding more ingredients if you want; I have tried them with a little bit of extra feta cheese and it was absolutely delicious!
Bread Roll Dough:
- Full Cream Milk
- Instant Dry Yeast
- Caster Sugar
- Plain / All-Purpose Flour
- Olive Oil
Ricotta Spinach Filling:
- Smooth Ricotta Cheese
- Minced Garlic
- Salt, Pepper and Dried Oregano
- Fresh Spinach Leaves, chopped
You will also need one more egg for the egg wash that will give you the beautiful golden-brown finish on the rolls!
How to make Soft Bread Rolls
To make the bread roll dough, I highly recommend using a stand mixer with the hook attachment; although I made bread by hands for a very long time, it is oh-so much easier to use a machine to do it for you!
Like for most yeast-based bread dough, you will first need to activate the yeast in a lukewarm liquid (milk), with the help of a little bit of sugar.
Yes, I know – it is supposed to be a savoury bread recipe but do not worry – you will not be able to taste any sugar at the end! Here are the steps to make the bread dough:
- Heat up the Milk to be lukewarm (see note below). Whisk in the Caster Sugar until dissolved, then add the Instant Dry Yeast. Quickly mix then set aside for about 10 minutes, or until you see bubbles/foam at the top.
- Place the Flour and Salt in the bowl of your mixer.
- In a seperate bowl, beat the Eggs with the Olive Oil.
- Finally, combine all the ingredients: make a well in the middle of the Flour and pour in the Eggs/Olive Oil and the Milk with the Yeast. Start kneading at low speed then slowly increase to a medium speed for a total of about 8 minutes. The dough should not be sticking to the bowl and its texture should be soft and elastic.
- Cover with a tea towel to prove until it has doubled in size; about 1 hour.
Note: be careful not to heat it up the Milk too much; if too hot, it will kill the yeast. To know if it is the right temperature, simply place a finger in the liquid; if it is warm but not hot, it is right!
Ricotta and Spinach Bread Filling
Making the scrolls filling with Ricotta Cheese and Spinach is the easiest part of this recipe. You will need to prepare the “wet” part of the filling first, then sprinkle it over the bread dough once rolled.
- Place the Ricotta Cheese, Egg, Garlic, Salt, Pepper and dried Oregano in a bowl and mix well. Adjust the seasoning to your taste if needed.
- Thinly chop the Spinach Leaves and set aside to sprinkle over the rolls later.
If you prefer, you can add the chopped spinach directly into the Ricotta Cheese filling but I find it easier to control the quantity of spinach used when placed over the cheese on the rolled dough. It will also provide a more even covering of spinach on the dough.
There are so many option when it comes to the rolls filling, you should absolutely get creative and try other ingredients and flavour combos!
How to assemble the Savoury Bread Rolls with Spinach and Ricotta
You will need to first spread the dough until thin and flat, cover it with the filling, roll it on its side then slice the scrolls.
- Punch the air out of the yeast dough, then transfer onto a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, spread the dough into a large, thin rectangle.
- Spread the Ricotta filling over the dough, leaving one of its longest side uncovered. Sprinkle the chopped Spinach over the Ricotta filling.
- Roll the dough on its longest side, trying to keep it as tight as possible.
- Slice the rolls using a sharp knife or a Pastry Chopper. The rolls should be about 5 cm / 2 inch high. You can make thiner or larger ones if you prefer, but keep in mind they will prove again before and while baking.
- Place the individual rolls on a lined baking tray and leave to prove for another 30 minutes.
- When ready to be baked, beat the egg for the Egg Wash and brush it over the rolls.
- Bake, then enjoy warm or cold!
More Savoury Bakes Ideas:
- Smoked Salmon Quiche
- Easy Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- Healthy Zucchini Muffins with Goat’s Cheese
- Tomato Galette with Whipped Feta
- Feta and Asparagus Quiche
- Cheddar and Spinach Muffins
- Cheese and Tomato Quiche
- Spinach and Feta Quiche
Ricotta and Spinach Pinwheels Recipe:
Spinach and Ricotta Rolls
Savoury Rolls Dough
- 1 cup (240ml) Full Cream Milk
- 1 tbsp (10gr) Instant Dry Yeast
- 1 teasp. Caster Sugar
- 3 1/4 cups (480gr) Plain Flour , plus a little bit more if needed
- 1 tbsp Table Salt
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
Spinach and Ricotta Filling
- 1 cup (250gr) Smooth Ricotta Cheese
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 teasp. Minced Garlic
- 1 teasp. Salt
- 1 pinch Pepper
- 1/2 teasp. Dried Oregano
- 2 cups (60gr) Chopped Spinach
1 Egg for the Egg Wash
Savoury Rolls Dough
- Warm up the milk to be lukewarm. Whisk in the Instant Dry Yeast and Caster Sugar then set aside for 10 minutes, or until the top of bubbly/foamy.
- Place the Plain Flour and Salt in the bowl of your Stand Mixer and give a quick mix. In a seperate bowl, beat the Eggs and add the olive oil.
- Make a well in the middle of the Flour and pour the Eggs/Olive Oil, then the Milk with Yeast.
- With the dough hook attachment, start stiring the dough on low speed and gradually increase to a medium speed. Stop to scrap the edges of the bowl if necessary and knead for 5 to 8 minutes. The dough should be smooth and stretchy (see note 1).
- Cover the bowl with a tea towel and leave in a warm place to prove for 1 hour to 1,5 hour, or until doubled in size.
Spinach and Ricotta Filling
- When the dough has finished proving, start preparing the filling.
- In a large bowl, whisk the Ricotta Cheese and the Egg. Stir in the Minced Garlic, Salt, Pepper and Dried Oregano.
- Thinly chop the Spinach Leaves and add to the Ricotta filling. Mix until fully incorporated, then set aside
Making the Savoury Rolls
- Punch the dough to remove any air, then transfer it on a lightly floured surface. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a large and thin rectangle (see note 2).
- Spread the Ricotta and Spinach Filling over the rolled dough, leaving one of the longest side clean. Roll the dough on its longest side, then cut small rolls (about 5cm / 2 inches thick).
- Place the Rolls on a Baking Tray lined with baking paper or a baking mat. Leave to prove for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven on 180'C/350'F.
- In a small bowl, beat the Egg for the egg wash. Using a pastry brush, brush a little bit of egg over each roll.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, then set aside to cool down completely.
- To know if the dough has been kneaded enough, pull a little bit of dough with your fingers. The dough should stretch easily and not break directly. If the dough quickly breaks, knead for another couple of minutes.
- Make sure the dough is thinly rolled, but not thin enough that it would start breaking.