This fudgy Flourless Chocolate Cake is the ultimate dinner party dessert winner. The decadent gluten free chocolate cake is simply a classic crowd-pleasing recipe!
What is a Flourless Cake?
Like its names states, this types of cakes is made without any wheat flour. Instead, they usually use Eggs - and especially Egg Whites - to create an airy and fluffy texture.
Sometimes, they also use non-wheat flour too. I absolutely love Flourless Cakes for there delicious flavours, texture and list of ingredients! One of my favourite, other than this chocolate one, is my Gluten Free Orange Almond Cake.
What are Flourless Cakes made out of?
So, if they are made without wheat flour, what are they made out of? For this recipe, I used Almond Meal - one of the flour the most used to make flourless cakes.
There are plenty of other flours that can be used too, for example: Rice Flour, Coconut Flour, Quinoa Flour, Buckwheat Flour, Gluten-Free Oat Flour,... the list goes on and on!
Here are the ingredients used to make this cake:
- Dark Cooking Chocolate - at least 70% cacao recommended
- Unsalted Butter
- Brown Sugar
- Almond Meal
- Unsweetened Cacao Powder
If you are not after a gluten-free cake, you can also try another version of this cake with this Chocolate Fondant Cake recipe!
Is this cake Gluten Free?
Yes, this cake is Gluten Free! Almonds are used to replace the wheat flour so you do not need to worry if you cannot eat gluten. Plus, the Almond Meal makes this cake ridiculously moist and fudgy. Win-win, right!?
Do you need to refrigerate this chocolate cake?
This cake only uses baked ingredients, and does not have a frosting or filling that could spoil quickly. I personally do not feel like I need to keep this cake refrigerated, especially because it would make it denser. I simply cover it with wrap or leave it out in an air-tight container.
How long will this flourless cake keep?
You can keep this cake out for 48 to 72 hours. It will actually be even better and fudgier after a night out!
More Gluten Free Desserts:
- Gluten Free Orange Almond Cake
- Gluten Free Strawberry Cake
- Buckwheat Banana Pancakes
- Vegan Banana Bread (Gluten Free)
- Pear and Almond Cake
- Apple and Almond Cake
Made this recipe?
Let us know if you liked it by leaving a comment below, and tag us on Instagram @a.baking.journey with a photo of your creation!
Easy Flourless Chocolate Cake
- 6,5 oz (200gr) Dark Cooking Chocolate
- 1/2 cup (120gr) Unsalted Butter
- 1 tbsp Instant Coffee Powder (optional)
- 4 Eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup (50gr) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup (50gr) Almond Meal
- 3 tbsp (30 gr) Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
I highly recommend using the measurements in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.
- Preheat your oven on 180'C/350'F
- Melt the Dark Chocolate and Butter together in the microwave, stopping every 30 seconds to stir until fully melted.When still hot, add the Coffee Powder and stir to combine. Set Aside to cool down.
- Prepare two large bowls. Seperate the Egg Whites and Egg Yolks, and set aside the Egg Whites.Add the Brown Sugar to the Egg Yolks and whisk for a few minutes until frothy and bubbly.
- Pour the melted Chocolate and Butter into the Egg Yolk batter.When combined, add the Almond Meal and Cacao Powder. Set aside.
- Get your Egg Whites. Add a sprinkle of salt, then start whipping with a hand mixer or in you stand mixer. Gradually increase the speed until you get stiff peaks.
- Gently fold in the Egg Whites into the Chocolate Batter.
- Line a Round Springform Pan with baking paper and grease the edges. Pour the batter in, smooth the top with a spatula then bake for 15 to 20 minutes.The edges should be baked but the centre still a bit wet.
- Optional: When cool, sprinkle some Cacao Powder and/or Powdered Sugar over the cake before serving.
Tried this recipe? Make sure to leave a comment and star rating below!