Who would ever guess that this Banana Bread is Vegan, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Eggless and Sugar Free? The answer is… no one – it tastes just like the real deal!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
Vegan Banana Bread Ingredients
I know that baking Vegan can seem super complicated or require lots of ingredients you can barely pronounce, but it is not the case here.
This recipe only use highly available ingredients that you should easily find or already have.
Here are the ingredients you will need to make this Vegan, Gluten Free and Sugar Free Banana Bread:
- Very Ripe Bananas
- Applesauce (preferably homemade)
- Canola Oil (or your choice of flavourless Vegetable Oil)
- Lemon Juice
- All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour
- Gluten Free Baking Powder
- Baking Soda
- Cinnamon Powder
- Xantham Gum (optional)
For this recipe, I used the combination of Mashed Bananas and Homemade Applesauce to replace the Eggs you would usually use to make Banana Bread.
The Canola Oil is perfect to replace a dairy ingredient like butter, but you could really use any type of Flavourless Vegetable Oil you want. Or use Coconut Oil for a nicely coconut flavoured pop.
The Gluten Free Baking Powder, as well as the mix of Baking Soda and Lemon Juice (you can also use Apple Cider Vinegar) will make your cake rise nicely.
And with the right Gluten Free Flour and added touch of Cinnamon Powder, you’ve got all the ingredients to make a delicious Banana Bread!
How to make this Gluten Free Banana Bread
Making this Gluten Free Banana Bread is no different than making any kind of Banana Bread: it is SUPER easy!
Not only it is extremely quick, it is also made in One-Bowl only so you don’t have to spend hours cleaning your kitchen and utensils. Win-Win!
To make this Vegan Banana Bread, follow these steps:
- Mash the Bananas then add the wet ingredients: Canola Oil, Applesauce and Lemon Juice.
- Add the dry ingredients: Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon Powder and Xantham Gum if needed (see note 1 in the recipe card).
- Pour the batter in a Large Loaf Pan and top with a sliced banana (optional)
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes
How to use a Gluten-Free Flour
I mean, when I said it was easy… it is seriously easy! The only ‘tricky’ part is to use the right flour. Although you could try to make this recipe with one of many Gluten Free Flour available around you (I have made this recipe with Buckwheat Flour before), I recommend to simply get an All-Purpose Gluten Free Flour mix from your local supermarket or health store.
Without it, your baked goods would be completely crumbly. Most All-Purpose Gluten Free Flours will have Xantham Gum in it, but it is important to double check.
If it hasn’t, you will need to add some to your dry ingredients in this recipe.
Sugar Free Banana Bread
One of the thing I like the most about this recipe is that it is made without any added-sugar or sweetener. I wrote a whole article on How to bake with Less Sugar, and one of the best trick is to use the natural sweetness of a fruit to replace processed sugar.
Very ripe bananas are naturally super sweet – really, you don’t need anything more. Seriously, just taste some mashed ripe bananas… isn’t that all the sweetness you need??
The Applesauce will also bring a little bit of a sweet touch to your bread. If you want a completely sugar-free cake, make sure to use a Sugar-Free Applesauce (or preferably make your own!).
If that is not enough for you though, feel free to add a little bit of a natural sweetener like Agave Syrup or Maple Syrup. One or two tablespoons should be enough!
More Ideas of Gluten Free and Vegan Recipes:
- Vegan No Bake Mini Blueberry Tarts
- Grapefruit and Orange Panna Cotta
- Coconut Panna Cotta with Strawberries
- Raw Cheesecake Cups
- No Bake Vegan Mango Cheesecake
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies (Vegan + GF)
Healthy Banana Bread Recipe:
Sugar Free, Vegan & Gluten Free Banana Bread
- 2 Large Ripe Bananas (about 1 cup or 200 gr mashed)
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Applesauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Canola Oil
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup (150gr) Gluten Free Plain Flour, packed
- 1/2 teasp. Baking Soda
- 1/2 tbsp Gluten Free Baking Powder
- 1/2 teasp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1/2 teasp. Xantham Gum / Guar Gum (optional – see note 1)
- 1 Large Banana (optional), to finish the cake
- Preheat your oven on 180'C / 350'F.Line a Loaf Pan with Baking Paper.
- In a large bowl, mash your 2 very ripe Bananas using a Masher or a simple fork. Pour in the Applesauce, Canola Oil and Lemon Juice and whisk to combine.
- Sift in your Gluten Free Flour, Baking Powder, Baking Soda, Cinnamon Powder (and Xantham Gum if required). Quickly stir until combined.
- Pour the Banana Bread batter in your Loaf Pan.Optional: peel the third Banana and slice it in half, lenghtwise. Place them over the cake and gently press into the batter.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the tip of a knife comes out clean.Leave to cool down for a few minutes before removing from the pan.
- Xantham Gum or Guar Gum is only required if your Gluten Free Flour does not have any added already. Make sure to check the ingredients of your flour to see if required (most gluten-free flour will have xantham gum in it).