These Triple Chocolate Tahini Cookies make the best vegan sweet treats if you love Chocolate and Tahini! Topped with a Chocolate Ganache Drizzle and Sesame Seeds, these vegan cookies are a delicious snack you won’t be able to put down!This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
Tahini Cookies!? Yes, I was a bit skeptical at first too. I have seen quite a few recipes going around lately and found them very intriguing. When someone says ‘Chocolate Chips Cookies“, you can directly imagine their taste.
But Tahini Cookies? Would they be sweet? Would they be savoury? Would they taste like sesame? I obviously had to investigate and find out for myself. Once more, for purely scientific reasons, of course!
What is Tahini?
You may have never heard of Tahini, but if you have ever had Middle Eastern Food, you most definitely have tried it before. Tahini (also known as Tehina) is “a condiment made from toasted ground hulled Sesame Seeds“.
It is famously used in recipes like Hummus and Babah Ganoush. Although often used in savoury recipe, Tahini can also be used to make sweet treats like Halva or in our case, Tripe Chocolate Tahini Cookies.
I love to use Tahini to make Dressings, Dips or even as a Sauces like the one I made with these incredibly delicious Roasted Eggplant. The Tahini you find in supermarket will usually be a all natural thick ground sesame paste, like this one.
To use it as a dressing, you would usually try to make it less thick by mixing it with Olive Oil and Lemon Juice. For this Cookies Recipe though, Tahini is used in its natural thick paste form.
To make these chocolate sesame cookies, you will need the following ingredients (Scroll down to recipe card for all quantities):
- Coconut Oil
- Brown Sugar
- Tahini Paste
- Plain Flour
- Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- Baking Powder
- Dairy-Free Chocolate Chips
Chocolate Cookies with Sesame Paste
If you have never used Tahini before but have had Halva, that is exactly how those cookies taste. They have a deliciously crumbly texture that is quite honestly addictive.
To make these cookies, I used Chocolate three times.
The first time was with Unsweetened Cacao Powder in the batter (you should try my favourite Van Houten Belgian Cacao Powder).
Secondly, I added small Chocolate Chips in the batter before baking it. I used the same Callebaut 54% Cacao Chocolate that I had used to make the chocolate ganache of my Chocolate Shortbread Cookie Sandwiches. If you would like an even stronger chocolate taste, you can also try the 70% Cacao version used in my Vegan Chocolate Mousse.
Lastly, I drizzled some Melted Chocolate (the same Callebaut 54% Cacao) on the Cookies once out of the oven. I also topped them with Sesame Seeds to bring a nice crunchy garnish.
How to make these Vegan Chocolate Cookies
- Melt the Coconut Oil if in solid form, then whisk with the Brown Sugar.
- Stir in the Tahini Paste.
- Add the Dry Ingredients: Flour, Cacao Powder, Cornstarch, Baking Powder and Salt.
- Fold in the Chocolate Chips.
- Make small balls of cookie dough then gently flatten them with your hands. Place them on a baking tray and bake for 10 minutes
- Drizzle the Chocolate Ganache over the cool cookies and sprinkle some Sesame Seeds to finish the cookies.
More Vegan Treats Ideas:
- Almond Tahini Cookies
- No Bake Blueberry Tartlets
- No Bake Peanut Butter Cookies (Gluten Free)
- Almond Flour Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vegan Carrot Cake Muffins
Triple Chocolate Tahini Cookies
Tahini Chocolate Cookies
- 1/2 cup (110 gr) Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1/4 cup (55 gr) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Tahini Paste
- 1 cup (150gr) Plain Flour
- 1/4 cup (30 gr) Unsweetened Cacao Powder
- 1 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 1 teasp. Baking Powder
- 1 pinch Salt
- 1/2 cup (90 gr) Small Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup (90 gr) Cooking Chocolate
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Plant-Based Milk
- 1/4 cup Sesame Seeds
Tahini Chocolate Cookies
- Mix the melted Coconut Oil and Brown Sugar in a large bowl until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the Tahini Paste and mix well until smooth.
- Sift in the Plain Flour, Cacao Powder, Cornstarch, Baking Powder and Salt. Mix well until you get a thick batter.
- Add the Chocolate Chips to the batter and give it a quick mix.
- Preheat your oven on 180’C and line a Baking Tray with baking paper or a baking mat.Scoop one tablespoon of batter per cookie on the tray. They shouldn’t spread too much but keep a little bit of room between each cookies.Bake for 10 minutes, then place the cookies on a cooling rack and let them completely cool down.
- While the cookies are baking, place the Chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and heat up the Milk separately. Once warm, pour the Milk on the Chocolate and stir with a spatula until the chocolate is all melted.
- Let the Chocolate cool down a bit, then drizzle over the Cookies.Sprinkle some Sesame Seeds just after drizzling the Chocolate, and let the cookies cool down completely.