After observing my old flatmate and friend Sarah make delicious raw treats over the years, I had always wanted to give it a try. Yesterday, I finally did and made a Vegan No Bake Coffee Chocolate Tart... and wish I hadn't waited so long!
For those who have never heard of raw desserts, they refer to sweet items that are usually made out of nuts, dried or fresh fruits and/or seeds and that require no baking time.
Raw cake recipes can be quite intimidating, with long prep time and ingredient I cannot pronounce. To be honest... I don't think I am patient enough for them (yet)!
So for my first Raw & Vegan dessert making experience, I decided to start with something not too complicated, using only things I already had in the pantry.
I combined & modified a few existing recipes, and ended up finding it super easy and simple. It was a perfect introduction to raw cakes! And oooooh so delicious!
There are two steps to this Tart: the crust and the filling.
The No Bake Tart Crust is very easy to make and only requires 4 elements: Cacao Powder, Coconut Oil, a Sweetener (I used Rice Malt Syrup) and a flour (I used Almond Meal).
You Can also add some finely chopped nuts to the crust to give it a stronger consistency. I added a little bit of chopped Almonds and it gave it a really nice crunchy texture.
The Vegan Chocolate Espresso Filling is just as simple to make. You only need to make a Ganache with Dark Chocolate and Milk and then add Espresso Powder. You can also customise that base by adding Shredded Coconut or Puffed Quinoa like me, which will bring a fun crunch to the tart!
This recipe features mainly chocolate, but you could easily use the same principles with other ingredients. Get creative!
Raw Chocolate Espresso Tart
For the Crust
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1/3 cup Cocoa Powder - unsweetened
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil - melted
- 1 tbsp. Rice Malt Syrup - or Agave Syrup
For the Filing:
- 3/4 cups Soy Milk - or any vegetal milk
- 220 gr Dark cooking Chocolate
- 1/4 cup Espresso Powder - equivalent to 1 shot of espresso powder
- 1/4 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup Puffed Quinoa (or Puffed Rice) - Optional
- Cacao Nibs and Shredded Coconut as a garnish
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and stir well together. You should end up with a thick paste. If it looks dry, add a little bit more Coconut Oil.
- Grease a round tart tin with a little bit of coconut oil and use your fingers to press the mixture evenly into the tin until a tart crust is formed.
Chocolate and Espresso Filling
- For the filing, chop the Chocolate and put in a bowl.Warm up the Milk in a pot then pour it on top of the chocolate. Stir well until the warm milk has melted all the chocolate.The ganache should be silky and smooth.
- Add the Espresso Powder and Shredded Coconut and mix well.
- Optional: Add some Puff Quinoa of Puffed Rice into the Chocolate Ganache to make it crispy!
- Pour the Chocolate Ganache on over the crust, and put in refrigerator to set for at least an hour or two.This step in really important – the tart will start melting very quickly so it really needs to have time to set, and be kept refrigerated until eating (and put back in fridge if there are any leftovers…)
- Optional: to garnish the tart, sprinkle some Shredded Coconut and Cocoa Nibs over the tart.