If your current mood is “I wanna snuggle up under a blanket right now“, then Pear Coffee Cake is exactly what you need! Made with fresh Pears and a delicious streusel topping, this Apple Crumble Cake is the ultimate winter sweet comfort food!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
We are still in this weird ‘in-between’ season where one day is summery and it is freezing cold the next. As a consequence, I someday feel like ice cream, than crave for a nice and comforting cake like this Pear Crumble Cake.
Pear season is slowly coming to an end and we can’t say I havent taken advantage of them this year. So many bakes with delicious pears! From a Double Chocolate Cake with Spiced Pears to a classic Pear Tarte Tatin, I have tried to use pears in many different ways – and loved them all!
I discovered Crumble Cakes – also know as Coffee Cake – the same way I often come across new recipes: on Pinterest. With the colder season starting for a lot of you and the end of Winter Down Under, it only make sense that we feel like delicious comfort food.
And this cake recipe, my friend, is way up there with all the other comfort foods! Once again – thank you Pinterest for broadening my baking horizon and making me try new fun things!
Pear Coffee Cake
As I kept seeing “coffee cake” recipes everywhere, I thought I had to investigate and discover more about this curious dessert. Is it made with coffee? Is it meant to be eaten with coffee? So many questions! Here are a few things that I found through my extensive research.
There are a few different types of cakes associated with the name “Coffee Cake“. Originating from Great Britain and the US, this name can either refer to:
- a sponge cake flavoured with coffee
- two layers of cakes separated by a coffee flavoured buttercream
- or simply a cake to eat with a cup of coffee.
Ok, that is pretty broad, isn’t it!? For this recipe, we will focus on the latest option: a cake that is usually eaten with a coffee.
This type of coffee cake is known for its recognisable spiced streusel / crumbles. These can be used as a topping and baked over the cake batter, or be added in the centre of the cake directly.
Although typically only spiced with Cinnamon, this recipe uses an array of spices to really boost the flavours of the cake.
Pear Crumble Cake Ingredients
Now that we have established what the hell a Crumble Cake / Coffee Cake is, let’s focus on the recipe itself. There are a few things that make this Pear Crumble Cake special.
First, it uses Greek Yogurt instead of Sour Cream. Although the classic American Coffee Cake recipe is uses sour cream to activate the baking soda, I thought the flavours of the cake would be more interesting with Greek Yogurt.
It brings an even stronger sourness and creaminess that is perfectly balanced by the sweet fruits and the crunchy crumbles.
Secondly, the Spiced Streusel are the real star of this dessert. That part is so simple, it would be a shame to miss it.
All you need is some flour, sugar, some spices and butter. To get the crumb consistency, it is important to use cold butter. If you have a food processor, it will be even easier to make. Throw it all in there, pulse, and thats it!
What Spices to use for a Pear Cake
I used a few different spices along with the Cinnamon to create a deliciously intense spiced flavour. And smell. God… that smell! In addition to the Cinnamon, I used Chinese 5 Spices, Nutmeg Powder and Ginger Powder.
I love to cook with Chinese 5 Spices but it’s the first time I use it in baking. It is a spice blend made with Fennel, Cinnamon, Star Anise, White Pepper (or Peppercorn), and Cloves. Definitely a great way to add a kick to a cake!
What dish to bake this Pear Crumble Cake in?
To finish it, I used a Ceramic Baking Dish lined with Baking Paper. I don’t often use Ceramic Dishes, but I love to use them when I want to serve a cake directly in its pan.
I find them way prettier than your typical metal pan, and they bring a nice rustic touch to the whole dessert.
Once baked, serve it lukewarm or cold – either directly into its baking dish or cut in individual slices.
More Pear Dessert Recipes and Ideas:
- Apple and Pear Crumble
- Spiced Red Wine Poached Pears
- Double Chocolate and Pear Cake
- Gluten-Free Pear and Raspberry Cake from It’s Not Complicated Recipe
- Fresh Pear Pie
- Pear Tarte Tatin
Spiced Pear Crumble Cake Recipe:
Pear Crumb Cake
Coffee Cake Batter
- 130 ml (1/2 cup) Greek Yogurt
- 3 Eggs
- 1/4 teasp. Vanilla Extract
- 180 gr (1 1/4 cup) Plain Flour
- 30 gr (2 tbsp.) Brown Sugar
- 1/2 teasp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 teasp. Baking Soda
- 1 pinch Salt
- 120 gr (1/2 cup) Butter, melted
- 2 Large Pears
- 150 gr (1 cup) Plain Flour
- 50 gr (2,5 tbsp ) Brown Sugar
- 1 teasp. Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 teasp. Chinese 5 Spices
- 1/4 teasp. Nutmeg Powder
- 1/4 teasp. Ginger Powder
- 1 Orange Zest
- 120 gr (1/2 cup) Butter
Coffee Cake Batter
- Combine the the Greek Yogurt, Eggs and Vanilla Extract.In a seperate bowl, mix all the dry ingredients: Flour, Brown Sugar, Baking Powder, Baking Soda and Salt.
- Whisk in the melted butter to the dry ingredients then slowly add the Yogurt/Egg mix. Whisk until all combined and lumps free.
- Peal and cut the Pears in small cubes.
- Pour the Cake Batter in a rectangular baking tray lined with baking paper. Cover with the Cubed Pears.
- In the bowl of your food processor, quickly pulse all the Flour and all the Spices to mix them in. Add the Orange Zest and Butter cut in small pieces. Pulse until crumbs form (see note 1).
- Evenly cover the Cake Batter and Pears with the Spiced Crumbs.
- Bake at 180’C for 20 to 25 minutes or until the crumbs look golden-brown.