It may have been freezing cold in Melbourne the other week but I got ready for my European Summer Trip the best way I know: with food. These super fresh tropical Raw Pineapple and Passion Fruit Tartlets are ridiculously easy to make and a perfect summer treat!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
This recipe is another one of those that I hadn’t planned to make at all. I had used only half of a Pineapple for an upside-down pineapple cake and the other half was starting to go bad.
For me, the best way to use fruits that aren’t going to last much longer is to make a curd. So for the sake of my poor half-pineapple, I didn’t waste time and quickly turned it into yummy No Bake Pineapple Tartlets that I topped with fresh Passion Fruits.
A good Curd Recipe is something that any baker should have in their books. Curds are extremely versatile and easy to make. You can use them in so many different ways: in tarts and pies, as a spread or with granola and yoghurt.
The most famous curd recipe is probably the Lemon one, but you can literally use any fruit you have instead. I found that using Pineapple was a fun twist to a classic lemon curd recipe. It gave a delicious tropical feel to these No Bake Tartlets that seriously tasted like summer!
Making a curd is basically the same as making a Custard. I had already explained how to make Custard – or Creme Patissiere – in my Plum and Vanilla Custard Tart recipe and the process to make a curd is very similar.
The main difference is that instead of using Vanilla to flavour the cream -like you would for a Custard – you use fruit juice or fruit puree to make a curd.
Making curds – just like making custard – is extremely simple: you simply need to cook Egg Yolks with Cornstarch and any chosen flavouring in a pot, then add butter.
No Bake Tartlet Crust
For the crust of the tartlets, I decided to go for a no-bake option made out of almond meal, coconut oil, shredded coconut and chia seeds. It turned out deliciously fresh and crumbly with a nice coconut flavour; perfect to go with Pineapple and Passion Fruit!
I love to use Almond Meal instead of Plain Flour in my cakes and tarts and very often do. Not only it gives your desserts a nice moist texture, it is also a great easy way to make gluten-free treats.
I usually use it in cakes, like for my Strawberry Almond Cake or in my Peach and Almond Olive Oil Cake, but it is also possible to use in Tarts and Pies crust. Note though that if you are going to bake the tart crust, you will still need to use some type of flour to go with the Almond Meal.
How to make a no bake tartlet with pineapple
To make a No-Bake Tart Crust, simply mix all the ingredients, press the dough in your tartlet pans then stick it into the freezer until set. So easy!
Once the No Bake Tartlet Crusts have set, you just have to pour in the Pineapple Curd and your tarts are ready. Although you can make this recipe with the Pineapple Curd only, I topped the tartlets with Fresh Passion Fruit and absolutely loved the tangy crunch it brought to the dessert.
The Passion Fruit combined with the Coconut of the Crust and the Pineapple of the Curd created the perfect summery tropical dessert!
Instead of making one large tart, I opted for small, individual Tartlets. I used my Non-Stick Tartlet Tins because I know that No Bake Tarts usually come out of their pans easily.
There are many other types of pans you can use though, and if not these non-stick tins, I recommend using Mini Tart Pans with Removable Bottom. Otherwise, you can also simply use a Muffin/Cupcake Tray but your tartlets won’t exactly have a tart shape.
Mini No Bake Pineapple Tart with Passion Fruit:
No Bake Pineapple Tartlets with Passion Fruit
No Bake Coconut Crust
- 2 cups Almond Meal
- 1/2 cup Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp. Honey or Rice Malt Syrup
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 1/4 cup Chia Seeds
- 1/2 cup Pineapple Puree, about a third a large pineapple
- 2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
- 3 Egg Yolks
- 2 tbsp. Cornstarch
- 2 tbsp (40 gr) Unsalted Butter
- 1 pinch Salt
No Bake Coconut Crust
- Melt the Coconut Oil and mix it with all the other ingredients in a large bowl. You should get a soft, crumbly dough.
- Using your fingers, press the dough into the Tartlets Pans to create a crust. Make sure that the crust is tightly packed.
- Place the Tartlets Crust in the Freezer to set for 30 to 60 minutes or until set.
- Mix a third of a large Pineapple in a blender to create a puree. You should get about 1/2 cup of Pineapple Puree. Optional: pass the Pineapple Puree through a sieve to remove all hard bits.
- In a large Pot, mix the Pineapple Puree, Sugar, Egg Yolks, Cornstarch and Salt. Whisk continuously on a medium-heat until the curd starts to thicken.
- When thick, remove from the stove and place in a heat-proof bowl. Add the Butter and stir with a spatula until the butter has melted and is fully integrated with the curd.
- Place in the fridge to cool down for 30 to 60 minutes.
To Assemble the Tartlets
- Fill the No Bake Coconut Crust with the Pineapple Curd.Topped with the juice and flesh of 2 to 3 fresh Passion Fruits.
- Enjoy straight away or leave in the fridge until ready to eat!