The second dish I made for the Vegan Mezze dinner is a fresh and crunchy Tabouleh Salad with Lentils and lots of herbs.
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
I love using Lentils in salads and associate it with super fresh and tangy ingredients to balance its earthy flavour.
Taking inspiration from the classic Middle Eastern Tabouleh (salad made out of Bulgur, Tomato, Parsley and Onions), I replace the Bulgur with French Lentils (aka Puy Lentil) but kept the other original ingredients.
I also added some Radishes to bring some extra kick to the Salad.
The dressing is super simple too: only Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Spices. All you need to make the salad shine is some acidity!
This Lentil Tabouleh is one of my favourite salad. It is super nutritious and high in fibre, which makes it perfect perfect for lunch or as a light main. You can also use it as a side dish like here and it will replace both salads and grains or potatoes!
This salad was a great, fresh, light addition to my “Vegan Mezze” Feast that featured mainly roasted veggies like beetroots, carrots and eggplants.
- 1 cup French Lentil
- 2 cups of Water
- 1 Tomato, diced
- 1/2 Red Onion, diced
- 4 Radishes, diced
- 1/2 bunch of Parsley
- A dozen of Mint Leaves, optional
- 1 Lemon, juiced
- 2 tbps. Olive Oil
- Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Cumin Powder
- In a medium size pot, bring the 2 cups of Water to a boil with a pinch of Salt.
- Rinse the French Lentils in a sieve then add to boiling water.Reduce the stove temperature to a low simmer and cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
You want to keep the lentils crunchy so make sure you taste them after 15 minutes to check it is not turning mushy.
Drain well and set aside to cool down.
- Cut the Tomato, Red Onion and Radishes into small cubes.Chop the Parsley and Mint Leaves.
- Mix the Lentils, diced Vegetables and chopped Herbs in a Salad Bowl.
- For the dressing, mix the Lemon Juice, Olive Oil and Spices in a separate bowl.
- Pour the dressing on the Tabouleh and mix.Keep refrigerated until serving - it is better eaten cold!