Because not all treats have to be sweet, I present to you these delicious little Spinach and Cheddar Muffins – perfect for an afternoon snack, as an appetiser or for your kids lunchbox!
This post may contain affiliate links to products. We may receive a commission - at not cost to you - for purchases made through these links.
There is just something about hidden veggies muffins… I don’t know about you, but I love the idea of eating a small cake that is actually good for me!
Plus, the the cheddar brings a delicious cheesy taste to these healthy veggie muffins you simply won’t be able to resist!
Cheddar Spinach Muffins Ingredients
These Spinach Muffins are really simple and quick to make, and will only need a few common ingredients: Eggs, Oil, Flour,… The Sour Cream is a great way to add creaminess to the muffins and a delicious moist crumb!
To make these Healthy Vegetable Muffins, you will need:
- Sour Cream
- Olive Oil
- Minced Garlic (optional)
- Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Plain Flour
- Baking Powder
- Ground Cumin
- Chopped Spinach
If you like Cheese and Spinach Bakes, you will love my Spinach and Feta Quiche!
How to make these Cheddar Cheese Muffins with Spinach
All you need to make these Cheddar Muffins is one bowl! Yes, I know – so easy! Before starting to make the muffins, I recommend getting all of your ingredients ready.
That includes washing (if needed) and chopping your Spinach leaves and grating the Cheddar Cheese if you are using a block.
Here is how to make these Muffins with Spinach and Cheddar:
- Wash, dry on a paper towel and thinly chop your Spinach Leaves.
- Grate the Cheddar Cheese if needed – I grated it very thin but you can use larger chunks if you want.
- In a large bowl, mix the Eggs, Sour Cream, Olive Oil, Milk and Minced Garlic (optional).
- Add the Grated Cheddar Cheese and Stir.
- Stir in the Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Pepper and Cumin (or your choice of spices and seasoning).
- With a spatula, gently fold in the Chopped Spinach.
- Fill a greased Muffin Pan with the savoury muffin batter and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
How to keep these Spinach and Cheese Muffins
These cheese muffins are super moist and will keep well for a few days! You can either keep them in the fridge (up to 3 / 4 days) in an enclosed container or at room temperature (up to 2 days) if not too hot.
If keeping at room temperature, make sure to keep them in an air-tight container.
A great tip to avoid getting soggy muffins when kept at room temperature is to line the container with a paper towel, and add some in between layers of muffins if needed.
The paper towel will absorb the extra moisture coming out the muffins and keep them fresher!
Can you freeze Vegetable Muffins?
You absolutely can – that is one of my favourite thing about veggie muffins! They can easily be made in advance and kept in the freezer for up to a few months.
It is especially great if you want a healthy make-ahead lunch box recipe and have them ready to be used whenever needed.
To freeze these Savoury Muffins, leave them to cool down completely on a cooling rack first. Then, wrap them individually in a layer of cling wrap and aluminium foil and place in the freezer.
Simply take them out of the freezer the night before and leave them to thaw in the fridge. Alternatively, you can also thaw them in the microwave (stop every 30 seconds to check) or in the oven (about 5 minutes)
Other Savoury Muffins Ideas
Veggie-Packed Muffins are simply a great snack to have around – and that can be used in SO many different ways!
For breakfast, morning and afternoon tea, as an appetiser, for your kid’s lunchboxes, or even to replace a bread roll with your dinner!
You often find Savoury Zucchini Muffins recipes, but the possibilities are endless when it comes to adding veggies to your muffins!
Here are some other ideas of delicious savoury vegetable muffins:
- Zucchini Muffins with Goat’s Cheese
- Cheesy Vegetable Muffins from Little Peeps Eats
- Cauliflower Broccoli Muffins from Another Food Blogger
- Corn and Cheese Muffins from Goodie Goodie Lunchbox
More Savoury Bakes Recipes:
- Spinach and Ricotta Rolls
- Smoked Salmon Quiche
- Cheese Gougères
- Rosemary Focaccia Bread
- Cheese and Tomato Quiche
- Basil, Feta and Tomato Galette
- Asparagus and Feta Quiche
Spinach Cheese Muffins Recipe:
Cheddar Spinach Muffins
- 2 Eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Sour Cream
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Olive Oil, or your choice of vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup (120ml) Full Cream Milk
- 1/2 teasp. Minced Garlic (optional)
- 1 1/2 cup (75gr) Cheddar Cheese, grated
- 1 1/2 cup (225gr) Plain Flour
- 1 1/2 teasp. Baking Powder
- 1/2 teasp. Table Salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 teasp. Cumin Powder
- 1 1/2 cup (75gr) Fresh Spinach, finely chopped
- If needed, wash the Spinach Leaves and place on a tea towel or paper towel to remove the extra water.
- Preheat your oven on 180'C/350'F and grease a Muffin Pan with Oil or Butter.
- In a large bowl, beat the Eggs then add the Sour Cream, Olive Oil, Full Cream Milk and Minced Garlic. Stir until combined.
- Stir in the Grated Cheddar Cheese (see note 1).
- Add the Plain Flour, Baking Powder, Salt, Pepper, Ground Cumin (see note 2). Whisk until combined.
- Add the finely chopped Spinach and fold in with a spatula.
- Optional: sprinkle some extra grated Cheddar over the muffins for more cheesiness!
- Pour the muffin batter into a Muffin pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
- I used finely grated cheddar cheese but any type of grated cheddar cheese will do too.
- Or your choice of favourite spice mix!